Higher Education Consulting
The Motivational Framework for Culturally Responsive Teaching, ©Ginsberg & Wlodkowski, 2009
Selected Keynote Presentations and Faculty Development Workshops.
“Motivation Integrity: The Soul of Post-secondary Equity.” 2019 California State University Symposium on Teaching and Learning.
“Designing Online Courses that Heighten Students’ Motivation & Learning.” 2019 Montana State Faculty Institute for Teaching & Learning.
“Diversity and Motivation: Culturally Responsive Teaching in College.” 2016 Inaugural University of Houston-Downtown Teaching and Learning Symposium.
“Fostering Intrinsic Motivation”, 2016 Dean’s Retreat on Inclusive Pedagogies, Amherst College.
“Applying Motivational Principles to Teaching Adults.” 2016 Annual Conference of American Association for Adult and Continuing Education, Albuquerque, NM. Presented with Raymond Wlodkowski.
“Motivation & Retention: The Portal to Post-secondary Student Success.” 2014 Student Recruitment and Retention Conference, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.
“Learning & Motivation for the 21st Century Learner.” 2013 Temasek Technical Institute Faculty Development Institute, Singapore. Presented with Raymond Wlodkowski.
“Culturally Responsive Adult Learning.” 2013 Lily Arctic Institute, Dillingham, AK Presented with Raymond Wlodkowski.
“Diversity & Motivation: Culturally Responsive Teaching in Professional Programs.” 2013 Faculty Development Institute, School of Nursing, Seattle University, Seattle, WA Presented with Raymond Wlodkowski.
“Research and Practice for Successful Online Accelerated Programs.” 2013 Flexible Learning Conference, Madison Area Technical College, Madison, WI. Presented with Raymond Wlodkowski.
“Instructional Leadership to Enhance Learning, Motivation, and Persistence.” 2012 Gateway National Conference, Portland, OR. Presented with Raymond Wlodkowski.
Higher Education Topics Include:
- Enhancing Adult Motivation to Learn in Higher Education
- Designing Online Course that Heighten Student Motivation and Learning
- Strengthening Motivation to Learn in Prison Education
- Culturally Responsive Teaching in Higher Education
- Increasing the Meaning and Impact of Adult Learning in Community Colleges
I conduct workshops and give presentations to faculty at colleges and university on the topics of Diversity and Inclusion, Enhancing Adult Motivation to Learn, Motivation and Diversity: Culturally Responsive Teaching in Higher Education, Online and Accelerated Program Design to Strengthen Learner Motivation, Retention, and Completion.
In this role I have worked with colleges and universities across the United States, Puerto Rico, and overseas.
Recent keynote presentations and workshops include:
- University of Alaska
- Amherst College
- Centennial Community College
- University of Central Florida
- Chemeketa Community College
- Colorado State University
- Edgewood College
- Gateway to College National Network
- U.S. Command and General Staff College. (Ft. Leavenworth)
- George Brown Community College (Toronto)
- Grand Valley State University
- University of Houston – Downtown
- Iḷisaġvik College
- The Association of International Schools in India Teachers’ and Administrators’ Conference (Cochin, India)
- Kansas State University
- Kingsborough Community College (CUNY)
- Lily Arctic Institute (Dillingham, AK)
- Pikes Peak Community College
- Seattle University, Temasek
- Technical Institute Faculty Development Institute (Singapore)
- Western Washington University
- Washtenaw Community College
- University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- Valencia Community College
In addition to research publications and articles for practicing educators, my authored and co-authored books include:
Books for Post-secondary and Adult Education:
- Enhancing Adult Motivation to Learn: A Comprehensive Guide for Teaching All Adults,
4th EditionWlodkowski, R.W. & Ginsberg, M.B. (2017) . San Francisco: Jossey- Bass/Wiley.Teaching Intensive and Accelerated Courses: Instruction that Motivates Learning. Wlodkowski, R.J. & Ginsberg, M.B. (2010) San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Teaching Intensive and Accelerated Courses: Instruction that Motivates Learning.
Wlodkowski, R.J. & Ginsberg, M.B. (2010) San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Diversity and Motivation: Culturally Responsive Teaching in College.
(2nded.) Ginsberg, M. B. & Wlodkowski, R.J. (2009) San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. (Cyril O. Houle Award for Outstanding Literature in Adult Education, American Association of Adult & Continuing Education).
In 2013 I was honored with the American Educational Research Association (AERA) “Relating Research to Practice Award” for my application of interdisciplinary research through the “motivational framework for culturally responsive teaching.” This framework enhances instruction in schools, community colleges, and universities to strengthen students’ intrinsic motivation to learn, academic performance, retention, and graduation.
My work builds on experience as a university professor and, for nearly a decade, Associate Professor of Education and Director of the University of Washington-Seattle doctoral program for aspiring educational leaders. I earned a Ph.D. in Bilingual/Multicultural/Social Foundations of Education from the University of Colorado-Boulder and I currently live in Chicago, Illinois.